DAVID G. HUGHES PIANO SERVICE, LLC
David G. Hughes
Registered Piano Technician
Payment/Correspondence: 2 Albright Avenue Glyndon, MD
Shop: 12360 Owings Mills Blvd. Reisterstown, MD 21136
& Mrs. John Doe
Town, USA 00000
propose to furnish material and labor --- complete in
accordance with specifications below, for the sum of:
_XX,XXX Thousand ___________________________ dollars ($XX,XXX.00)
to be made as follows:
Deposit of $1000 to reserve
time slot, first third due upon commencement of work, second third at midpoint
of project, balance due upon completion, prior to delivery.
this proposal may be withdrawn by us if not accepted within 30 days.
of Proposal --- The above
prices and specifications and conditions below are satisfactory and are hereby
accepted. Payment will be made as
hereby submit specifications for: Rebuilding
of 1927 Steinway & Sons mahogany A-3 (6’ 4.5”) #253520 as follows:
- Remove original pinblock and install new pinblock
to cast iron plate and piano case – fully-fit, Steinway factory
- Remove original soundboard and install new solid
spruce soundboard and ribs.
Apply gloss finish to soundboard. Replace bridges - hand notched and pinned. Establish
ideal string downbearing for new soundboard/bridge assembly.
- Perform any structural repairs to rim, beams,
crossblock, and keybed. Repaint undercarriage.
- Refinish cast iron plate – Steinway gold
with gloss clear coat. Refelt
plate. Install new plate
fasteners: pinblock webbing screws and perimeter lag bolts. Refinish original brass nosebolt
cap nuts. Reletter
plate. Replace serial number,
model designation, and production number in original Steinway locations
and proper typestyle. Reshape capo d’astro bar. Install new agraffes and hitch pins.
- Install new blued 2/0 tuning pins. Restring with new G.C. Piano
String Co. (Canadian) bass strings and new Roslau (German) treble wire.
- Stabilize piano at concert pitch.
- Remove existing action parts. Refinish tubular action frame. Install
new New York Steinway hammers, Renner (German) hammershanks and flanges,
and whippens - 88 parts each.
- Install new damper felt, rebush damper guide
rails. Install new Renner
damper underlever system.
Refinish damper heads.
- Install entirely new keyset consisting of 88
keylevers: 52 acrylic natural key covers, 36 ebony covers, key bushings,
backchecks, and key end felt. Replace all keyframe felt: front rail,
center rail, and back rail. Install new low-friction WN&G keypins and
- Rebush and repair pedal lyre. Reglue loose pedal
lyre glue joints as necessary. Rebuild and repaint trapwork. Redesign
sustain pedal mechanism for smoother, silent operation. Install
adjustable-length pedal rods. Refit trapwork with adjustable positive
stops to regulate pedal throw.
- Regulate rebuilt action to factory specifications
for proper touch and voice hammers for optimal classic Steinway tone.
- Weigh-off new action-keyboard combination for
tapered touchweight (down-weight) from bass to treble with maximum
repetition (up-weight) and minimal inertia (start-up force).
- Strip case of existing finish. Perform all
repairs and veneer replacement as needed.
- Apply multi-coat, closed-pore, hand-rubbed satin
- Furnish new bench, matched to piano.
- Replate all case hardware (pedals, hinges, etc.)
in polished nickel. Install new nickel plated casters. Replace all case
buttons. Refelt case parts.
- Replace all original exterior Steinway & Sons
- Rebuilding work shall be covered by a limited
five-year guarantee, additional details of which shall be provided at the
time of delivery, furnished upon request, or are available at
- Due to the characteristics of new piano strings,
the piano should be tuned at least three times within the first year of
restringing and twice a year thereafter.
- The customer may approve the final voicing and
touch of the finished restoration while the instrument is in the
shop. Any modification to
suit taste within the capability of the instrument will be performed
within the contract price.
After delivery of the instrument, any desired voicing and/or action
adjustments shall be performed at Mr. Hughes’s (or his approved agent’s)
- Work to commence approximately January 1st,
expected nine-month job time.
- Moving of piano to Hughes Piano Shop in
Reisterstown (Baltimore), Maryland from customer’s residence and return is
included in this contract.
- If desired, Mr. Hughes shall furnish a loaner
Steinway grand piano at no rental charge during the restoration process.
Customer shall be responsible for the moving of this loaner piano.